During the Dutch and Qing era, Yujing was known as Dawulong, and was settled by four Shufan (literally translated as civilized savages) indigenous settlements of the Cou People. These settlements were named Tapani She, Mangzaimang She, Xiaoli She, and Qiebashe (located in modern day Nansi District). The Tavocan Siraya people (from modern day Sin-Hua) were forced to relocate after their land was forcibly occupied by the Han settlers that arrived at Taiwan during the reign of Prince Zheng of the Ming Dynasty. The Siraya defeated the four Cou settlements and occupied their land instead. During the early years of Qing Emperor Yongzheng, Han settlers moved into the area and started building their villages. In 1920 (9th Year of the Japanese Emperor Taisho), the Japanese occupied Taiwan and renamed the area as Yujing (Jade Well) by approximating the pronunciation of Tapani to a Japanese equivalent, a name that is still in use to this very day. During the Japanese Occupation, the region was designated as Yujing Sho of Sin-Hua Ken (county) of Tainan Shu (prefecture), and was to be led by a village chief. After the retrocession of Taiwan, the area was renamed as Yujing Township. During the merger of Tainan County and City in 25 December 2010, Yujing Township was reestablished as Yujing District of Tainan City and placed under the direct jurisdiction of Tainan City Government. The entire district is divided into 10 villages and 175 neighborhoods.